Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities of a Pastor/Shepherd/Elder/Overseer
Came across this old blog entry posted by pjtibayan sometime back, but recently linked and made a reference to it again.
He discussed lists by Don Carson, Mark Dever, Benjamin Griffith, Lig Duncan and John Piper.
Check it out here.
To share a basic thought on this, allow me to quote a Chinese congregation pastor who shared this with me, from Mark 9:35
Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.His understanding of pastoral ministry was three-fold:
1. Preaching God's Word (including evangelism)
2. Pastoral care (prayer, counselling, visitation, rites e.g. baptisms, weddings, funerals)
3. Ministry (a specific area of ministry assigned by the church e.g. missions, youth, CE, etc)
I see these three aspects as vital to the pastor's role, and one that is fading all too quickly, as someone commented on pjtibayan's post. Allow me to refine this definition a little further, using the basic framework and example of Christ in the above passage:
1. Teach (in the church)
2. Proclaim (the Word, and specifically the gospel)
3. Heal (besides physical healing, including spiritual and emotional healing)
Overarching these are:
1. Mission (v.35 "going through all the cities and villages")
2. Compassion (v. 36 "like sheep without a shepherd")
3. Obedience (v. 37 "the workers are few ... send out workers into His harvest")
4. Prayer (v.37 "ask the Lord of the harvest")